November 21, 2006

Some great little things rating allows me to do. I am just copying my review from Ratebeer.

Saranac Caramel Porter

Got two bottle one from the Febuary, 2006 release and a new one I guess late October 2006 in the 12 pack mixer that was recently released. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and bought two cases early in the year when it was released by itself. Dont know if they will do it this year. The great thing about this site is I can do a vertical of a beer that most other RBers might find useless.

Major differences off the bat are the labels. The late 05 and early 06 bottles are labeld as pictured. The new bottles are a bit different - different stream pic, instead of "robust porter" it says "the spirit of the adirondacks" plus below it adds a few extra words. Actually, the whole label is a bit lighter. Both beers are split among two people. The old Saranac is poured into a NJ craft brewers guild sampling glass which I got while at the last HW open house. The newer Saranac is poured into a taller Brewtopia’05 sampling glass.

Similarities: Both pour exactly the same, medium head, with a dark amber color. Cant see through the beer but a good amount of clarity into it. Fades into a nice lacing on both, the newer bottle’s lacing stays afloat a bit longer. Aroma is still fairly similar, strong caramel aroma, some from caramel malts but mostly added aroma. But not over the top and very sweet and mellow. Both are easy drinking with a medium to light body.

Differences: the newer one has a bit of stronger hop bite. While the hops are not really central in this beer, one can definitely feel a fading of bitterness and overall sharpness to the older bottle. The big difference is a bit of oxidation is settling into the older bottle. Just a hint where a oxi-sweetness is starting to form. For me a positive actually, I look for this flavor. It is common in an aged Old Ale or sometimes a barleywine (recently I had a wonderful Pocono Black and Tan that was rather old that tasted heavenly). The older bottle is having a hint of chocolate come out at the end of the taste. But only drinking these beers side by side do I notice the slight hop bitterness at the end of the newer bottle.

Overall: I still think this is a fine beer either way I like it. The slight oxidation makes the older one seem a bit more full bodied. But the slight hop biting finish makes the newer one taste, well newer and a bit firey. I am ajusting my scores just a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are a tool